Click to Copy Copied
0 currently playing
Online Players

MCAlagaesia Network

Build Application - Plot -23:3

8 replies
OcelotEmpire Apprentice
Dragon Eggs:
Hello! I hope you enjoy by rustic house mansion castle!
The interior is not the focus of the build, but review it if you want.
Any odd connected textures are probably the result of the limit in scale.
I know that most builders like to add indents into the walls and mix in other blocks, but I intentionally did not, because I wanted the castle to seem more maintained and lived in, not worn down.
Lastly, YES I KNOW BRICK IS UGLY. I picked it for the color and for the stair and slab variants.

Please let me know what you think! I would love to be a builder!
-Ocelot
Posted Jan 31, 19 · OP · Last edited Feb 4, 19 by OcelotEmpi...
Striga808 Master
Dragon Eggs:
+19
Hi, your plot was interesting, so I thought I would give it a review. It has some decent foundations that I think show you have some promise, but there are still a handful of things that I think would really help you take your building to the next level.

Overall form:
I find castle walls in a square shape to be really boring. I get that it is a default, easy structure to work within, but 1) it does not make interesting castles/keeps, and 2) making it take up the whole plot ends up making the plot as a whole uninteresting as well. For 1), it would be much better if there were curves in the walls, and changes in its height as well. Have different towers at the corners, change stuff up. Symmetry is overrated. For 2), if the keep only took up like 1/2 or 2/3 of the plot, you would have room to make some natural areas, or add some outside houses, or anything else to give the build more context. Part of the challenge of building a plot is to make it seem like it isn't a plot. It shouldn't be its own entire separate thing, it should look like a slice from a larger whole. Having the walls go right up to the edges of the plot don't let that happen.

Exterior Detail:
I think you have a good base down as far as the detail of the structures go, but there are a lot of empty areas, especially on the outside of the walls. Adding in the changes from the above point would help make them more interesting, but you should also consider adding more columns/arches along the walls to spice them up, and some texture changes as well to add realism and break up the monotony. There is also a lot of little nooks and crannies between the houses that aren't really being used for anything. Remember that room inside of the walls is very valuable, and every little spot would be used for something. That will also help make the streets feel more life-full.

Interiors:
For starters, you really should finish the rest of the interiors. Now, regarding the ones that are actually finished: There is something I can't quite place, so bear with me as I try to explain this feeling, but the interiors feel very minecraft-y and not very medieval-y. Maybe that is a function of the pallet, I don't really like the cobble and oak wood combo, especially with the wool added in. The ceilings are very plain, which also maybe contributes to it. It just doesn't seem like this was something that was actually built to be lived in, it looks like it is just posturing trying to imitate what it would be like. I'm sorry as I imagine it isn't very helpful to hear things like that because its so vague, so I guess some particular things about the interiors that felt off to me where the large number of torches, the pretend people that are everywhere, and the weird arrangement of the library. I would just suggest looking around at really good medieval interiors (maybe on this server, maybe not) and trying to figure out how to make things be more natural.

I think one of the strengths of this plot is the fullness of the keep area. You did a good job filling the space with the buildings so that it feels like I am actually in a place. And I don't mind the brick, I would say the roofs are also one of the stronger points of this plot, I really like the curves that you put into some of them. I hope this helps you get some ideas of where you could improve on your plot, sorry about the high level feeling based critique of the interiors but I just can't give an exact reason why it feels the way it does.
Posted Feb 4, 19
OcelotEmpire Apprentice
Dragon Eggs:
Thanks for the imput!
When I started the build, I didn’t know that you could merge plots together, so I just tried to fill as much space up as possible.
The walls are only 3 blocks thick, and relatively short, so I didn’t add much detail to them. I wanted to keep the overhang, and if I had added columns, I would have to extend the top out even further, which is pushing it a little too far.

My next plot will be bigger so that I can try out your advice.
Thanks again!
- Ocelot
Posted Feb 4, 19 · OP
OcelotEmpire Apprentice
Dragon Eggs:
Actually, this was my first attempt at making an interior. I don't normally do interiors at all.
Posted Feb 4, 19 · OP
Striga808 Master
Dragon Eggs:
+19
Good to know. I will just throw it out there as a recommendation that I generally think doing bigger plots isn't a good plan. I'm a firm believer that bigger does not equal better. I think especially for someone like you who is just starting out (at least with full interior builds) doing a big build that might drain and discourage you isn't as good as doing a few smaller plots, where you can try out some different styles and learn more instead of grinding through a bigger build.
Posted Feb 5, 19
Hellomynameis99 Project Lead
Shop Tokens:
+26,290
Dragon Eggs:
+584
Hey OcelotEmpire! Thanks for submitting your plot, and sorry for the delay in reviewing.

I agree that the outer walls are rather flat. The edges do look nice though - adding leaves does add a lot of detail but I wouldn't do it to the whole wall. Perhaps you could try adding a couple of cobblestone stairs to represent missing bricks? It just adds a bit of depth.
4104852.jpg

I love how you add detail to a roof with the unevenness. It looks like a clay tile roof.
4104853.jpg

The density of the build is great as well. It feels like a real medieval city.
4104854.jpg

I think you did a good job on the interiors.
The library, however, does look a bit... how do I put this - square? (Look, I know it's Minecraft!)
4104855.jpg

Perhaps it could do with some coving/cornice (detail where the walls meet the roof) similar to what the dining hall has.
4104856.jpg

Overall, I think this plot is definitely worthy of builder. Congratulations! I've sent you a PM with more information. :-)
~ 99
Posted Fri at 11:38 pm · Last edited Fri at 23:39
OcelotEmpire Apprentice
Dragon Eggs:
ヽ(͡◕ ͜ʖ ͡◕)ノ
Posted Sat at 12:35 am · OP
_Teglik_ Terraformer
Shop Tokens:
+1,400
Dragon Eggs:
+15
Well, I should start a betting agency... another correct prediction. Congratulations! :)
Never Say Never
Posted Sat at 12:39 am
Dragon Eggs:
+10
Congrats ocelot! You can work on the real Urubaen now :p
Posted Sat at 11:56 pm
Top Posters
2566 Posts
Hellomynameis99 Project Lead
727 Posts
Hotline_101 Grandmaster
652 Posts